So I've just been having a blast. What else is new, right?! haha. I had my first two show day and I am still working on Stage Left, and getting the hang of things so that there are some things I can do before being told now...I'm trying to learn fast so that I can impress the people 'in charge' of me...since the connections I am making may be the most key thing I am doing, although I am learning a lot and the people I work with are quickly becoming my friends. Most of them are mid-late 20s and up so it's a lot of fun, I feel like I get on better (did you see that british phrase i just used?!) with people older than me ever since I was younger anyway. I think it's an oldest child thing but I don't know. I enjoy having the daytimes off too! Although I wouldn't even mind it if I worked two shows a day everyday...I just can't wait until I have everything memorized that I have to do! (the tasks of the ASMs)...or moreso the order and cues over headset--that's the hardest part. On Wednesday I had the whole day off because I have class at night that I'm not allowed to miss :/ I wish I could just work though, it's kind of dumb because even the advisors say we don't miss much in the class. On Wednesday I got out of most of the main part of the class (it's 18:30-20:30) because my academic project advisor talked to me and the other 6-ish students with 'weird' internships...aka. film, theater, fashion, etc. Turns out that the project is due July 5. I'm not sure yet, but I want to take a play or musical also set in the 1960s and do some designs for it (more likely 2D renderings, since materials for model building and time for measurements, etc are not very accessible/realistic) and then write a paper to back up my concepts, maybe design a couple costumes, and compare it to the set and style of Hairspray, also set in the 60s. I may even compare my 1960s research to what I see on the Hairspray set/costumes. I figure that will be a good portfolio piece, as well as be a good project, and realistic to complete in 3 weeks or whatever it is, especially since I have daytimes to work on it daily. On Wednesday, I went to the Samuel French bookstore, something I had found and written down in my little black book of things to see in London. It was great! I got some free papers about events in theater in the upcoming weeks, and read a book about the making of the Lord of the Rings musical, which was cool since I've seen it. I think I'll probably go back there for some of my research, at least to pick up a script. Then I went to Piccadilly Circus and kind of just took myself window shopping and (shock!) didn't even buy anything! Oh! Except...I did find a little dessert shop that had Moevenpick Ice Cream!!! It's the best ice cream, based in Switzerland, and you can only find it there and in countries surrounding. So that was delicious and I ate it on the steps of the statue in the center of Piccadilly before getting back on the train. Then I had class that night which would be dry to write to you about. When we got back, I went with my friend Seth grocery shopping up on Angel to Salisbury's, which was great...a large choice finally! Seth has this awesome film/fashion internship with some celebs so we both love our jobs and I enjoy hanging out and talking with him so it's become my ritual that once I come home from work (usually about 10:30pm) and change I go upstairs (he lives on the third floor) and take some snack food with me (work usually makes me hungry since I eat at weird times) so that's fun.
Thursday was the double matinee day. Found out that people who work/act at the Shaftesbury get a discount at the Bagel Nash, my favorite (coincident) place! So that's cool and I went there and got food (on discount-!) to take away on my lunch break, before coming back to the DSM lounge and watching a British comedy with Sara and Tom, the DSMs. Running the second show was good, and after a long day I was glad to come home and sleep, although I had lots of fun.I dont think I've ever mentioned how many stairs there are in my theater! If you see the pic of it on the slideshows, you can see its a huge building, but there are tiny little staircases going up and the dressing rooms and other random rooms are on every floor and it's quite a climb! Especially on a 2-show day! On the West End, different shows have one weekday that they do a matinee on, usually at 3pm, and then have night shows at 7:30pm every night but Sunday is totally dark throughout West End theatre. And then most shows also do a Saturday matinee, but it varies/is random which weekday they do. Ours (obvi) is Thursday and Saturday.
Today I stayed in the morning to do some random stuff, then Seth called me when he was out of a meeting, and I met him at Piccadilly Circus, and went shopping with him...there were a few things he was looking for, and then of course sometimes I ditched the boring men's sections to look at stuff....found an adorable little gray blazer on sale at H & M which I just had to get because I convinced myself that since sales 'tax' is included in the price here, it's cheaper or just as good at getting it at the H & M in NYC, which is where I would usually go...8% sales tax...yuk. Plus it matches the chic hat I got at the street market. :) Enough boring you with my wardrobe shopping and fashion sense....
Then we came back to the house, me low on blood sugar, and Seth tired, and I did laundry (you can go ahead and gasp if you want here) and then at 5 I left again for work. I went to Aveda and got an Iced Mocha, before work because I was kind of tired, and ran into Harry, the cute little stagedoor guy, if you recall. So that was good. At work today, the DSMs switched around a bit so Sara was on my side (I dunno if it's with or without an -h so I'm switching it up), which was fun although Tom is great too. I'm sad Sara is leaving on holiday to Egypt for two weeks soon so I won't see her the whole time I'm here, but same is with most of the other 4 DSMs...they rotate on holidays. After the show she took me for a drink which was nice of her and I enjoyed talking with her for a little while, and so then I got home around 11.30. That's about the end of my saga for today...thanks for reading! Oh and by the way, it's about 60 degrees here, maybe going to 70s soon, but just thought you should know what the weather is like since it's probably getting hot? More later!
~Sam~
No comments:
Post a Comment