Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!  I hope you'll bookmark it and check back later for more, as well as explore the links I've posted about my internship.  
If this is your first time on my site, the blogs start from most recent so head to the bottom of the page if you want to read about my total trip thus far!  Photo slide show coming soon!  See you soon!

07 March 2010

Day 1- no no no jet laggg

That's right no jet lag for me!  I slept lots on the plane actually!  Then we got here and had to take a Heathrow Express since there were closures in zone 4 on the piccadilly line, more expensive, but it was fine.  Then we got to our hotel around 1pm (London time) and checked in right away!  My room is really nice, small, one bed and a nice bathroom and shower, which I used right away and felt like a new person after!  Then Kaitlin, Chuck, Emily and I went to Portobello Market.  Emily is a Penn State Thespian who is studying in Paris and met us here for two days!  Kaitlin is a good friend of mine who studied here for a semester last year, and her boyfriend, also a friend of mine, who has never been to England.  We walked through the market and got a deal on scarves.  Then I had found an Orange Mobile...turned out it closed!  So a nice man in a pub I walked into told me where one nearby was and I went and got a new sim card and phone number so my phone here could work again!
After that I got ahold of my friend Steven here and we met up and saw Oliver! the musical.  Although we paid a little more than we wanted to...it was well worth it just for the set!  It was in the same theatre as Lord of the Rings the musical...a massive stage...biggest I have EVER seen and SO well used.  The set was so epic it was almost opera-style.
After that I said bye to Steven and went to the theatre where Mamma Mia is playing. In the downstairs Delfont Room is a bar and cabaret style stage and my friend Leanne Jones who was Tracy while I was on Hairspray had her one woman show there, "Have You Met Miss Jones?" which was absolutely incredible.  I have some very talented friends and have seen some great Cabaret nights but hands down this one was the best.  I had not really heard her sing much other than Hairspray (almost 60-some shows of it!) and let me tell you I knew she was talented but wow so incredible!  I sat at a table with her friend Abby and her friend Zoe.  She had done a concert at Royal Albert Hall with Abby and the two girls were just absolutely hilarious the whole night and we became instant friends which was nice since I was by myself (Michael was supposed to come along but he was ill and didn't even go in to work).  I got to speak with Leanne after and we planned to get coffee this week while I'm here so that will be nice!
I caught a night bus home (no more mommy's money to take cabs!) and amazingly I think it only took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out what bus to take out of Piccadilly Circus!  (Tubes stop running at midnight and the show only started at 11pm).  I was happy I figured it out because the bus system is pretty impossible to comprehend (I still don't get it even though I've taken tons of buses).  Our hotel is right around the corner from the tube station at Earl's Court, and so is the bus stop.
So all in all it's been an amazing day.  Not sure what I'll do tomorrow but I know that I am meeting Kaitlin, Chuck, and Emily for Fish and Chips dinner!  They want to do the Tower of London...which if the first time I was asking "where is the gift shop?" chances are if I went a second time, my attention span would be even smaller, beautiful/awesome as it is there!
I'm sooo happy to be here I can't even stand it.  And I'm so excited to see everyone!
Cheers to London--my favorite place in the world, truly!
~Sam~

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well, if the scenic design thing doesn't work out, you can be a comedic writer! ha ha Sounds fun already. Have a wonderful night in your British Bed and make yourself a nice day tomorrow. Oh, and just so you know...if you are ever in a situation where you have to take a cab, Mommy's money is still available. Love you up to the sky and back.