Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!  I hope you'll bookmark it and check back later for more, as well as explore the links I've posted about my internship.  
If this is your first time on my site, the blogs start from most recent so head to the bottom of the page if you want to read about my total trip thus far!  Photo slide show coming soon!  See you soon!

09 March 2010

You can make a fine living in a pair of heels.

So I will start going backwards through the day.  First we'll start with the most amazing thing tonight...Priscilla Queen of the Desert (title is a line from the show).  Think men in platforms, cupcake dresses, paintbrush dresses, and a full size bus covered in LED lights.  Yep you probably don't even have an image close to how ridiculous and amazing this show was.  I went to see my friend Charlotte (she understudied Tracy while I was there) play one of the three Diva ladies who usually entered from the sky and were just that: Divas.  She was so in her element and brilliant and I could tell she enjoyed every moment of it.  Her solo song was "I Will Survive" (it's all eighties music, to make it even better) and she KILLED it like wow.  Amazing.  I was so proud to see her up there and not even wearing a Tracy Turnblad costume!  I stood to wait for her at the stagedoor after and saw Rachael who played Amber in Hairspray while I was on it!  And then Ben walked up (was Link in Spray) and Charlotte's mum said it was like she was seeing Hairspray all over again!  So it was good and then said bye and missed seeing my friend Tommy who runs the fly system/automation for Priscilla and got me my discounted tickets.  He leaves tomorrow for Spain which I didn't know, but it was crazy with it being a new cast night and all, so unfortunately I didn't get to see him.  He was an ASM with me and is close friends with my friend Ros too.
Before the show, we'll start from morning.  I woke up early, had hotel breakfast (quite good!) and then headed to Tottenham Court Road (well, Goodge St more like) to Paperchase...aka scrapbooking/stationary/art HEAVEN!  Four floors of beauty haha.  After buying well, a years worth of stuff no Michael's store would ever have, I was pleased and took a tube up to Old Street to my old neighborhood and a little blast from the past.  As I felt at home walking up the street I noticed that where a 7 foot long wall once stood...there was a giant concrete skyscraper structure!  (still in progress)  but amazing!  I got to Thoresby house and proceeded to the Texaco, which was bustling sorta outside with cars filling with "petrol" but then I went up to the door (open 24 hours) and it was locked!  There was a police officer inside talking to the cashier, who waved me that they were closed.  I'm not sure, maybe something had just happened, but people outside seemed to be going about business as usual.  So, I left and headed back to the hotel where I met Kaitlin and Chuck to go to My Old Dutch, a pancakes (crepes sorta) place where Mondays are all 5 quid.  It was in Kaitlin's old neighborhood, which was fun to see and we also saw Hugh Grant's house, and the security guard came out, only, i think, to realize we were harmless tourists.  After lunch, we got cupcakes at Hummingbird bakery, and the black bottom cupcake was way better than any i've ever had, even at great New York cupcake places.  Then we rode the tube to Westminister to see the London Eye!  It was my favorite tourist attraction and the sky was really kind of pretty even though it was cloudy the sun was shining through the clouds and I got gorgeous shots.  We had fun.  Then I went to Leichester Square to meet up with Tim, who used to be the mixer (sound) at Hairspray.  I learned a lot about the "art" of sound from him and he is working on this great new project which basically makes theatres more environmentally conscious and it's called the Theatre Trust. I stopped by his office, saw a little about what he did and then we went for a drink after and talked some more.  He is a great connection and really intelligent, one of the people who always took me under their wing at the Shaftesbury, as he is a bit older and married.  So that was really good and I got to talking a little bit more business than I have been.
Then I headed down the road to pick up my tickets for Priscilla, and found a Costa to have a light dinner and a coffee there.
Had a wonderful wonderful night.  So proud of Charlotte!  Can't wait to see Spencer tomorrow, he studied abroad at PSU last year and I'm going to visit him at Kent Uni tomorrow!  Plus am also moving to stay with Rach (another friend from Hairspray) for the rest of the week!
More soon!
xx Sam


No comments: